Piers note: No. 375. Dockyard: Guard Room at Naval Hospital, and old sandstone Gate of 1809 leading to the Hospital Wharf. Looking Northeast across the Harbour. Guard Room shows stand for 8 or 9 rifles. The negative positively shows, with aid of a lens, on Southeast side of left-hand post, behind rails of gate, the marble Tablet dated 1809, with inscription stating the cornerstone was laid by Admiral Warren. This tablet is still in existence, but was removed to a near-by site in 1930. The North Gate bears its own date, 1809, and the old Naval Hospital was built in 1782, and burnt in 1819.
Date.: ca. 1883
Reference: Royal Engineers Nova Scotia Archives number 6873 (Piers 375)
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/royalengineers/archives/
Crown copyright © 2023, Province of Nova Scotia.