Snap shots taken in Bedford, Halifax, and the Annapolis Valley, taken during the late 1930s and early 1940s.
Fort Charlotte's searchlights ceased regular operation and its garrison was removed from Georges Island after the fort closed down on 16 December 1918. Only a small care-taking detachment remained.
However, even these caretakers were removed by 1937; responsibility to watch over armaments then fell to the lighthouse keeper. Several guns were dismantled and shipped to British Columbia. For a detailed history of Georges Island see Dianne Marshall, Georges Island The Keep of Halifax Harbour [FC 2346.55/ M367/ 2003]
Reference: Halifax School for the Blind Nova Scotia Archives Album 83, page 12, photo 4
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/eastcoastport/archives/
Crown copyright © 2023, Province of Nova Scotia.