Nova Scotia Archives

The Royal Engineers in Halifax

Wellington Barracks, Halifax

Piers note: No. 201. Wellington Barracks: Married Soldiers' Quarters, Block C (Short block), southwest front, with brick ends, of wood, 2½ storeys high with verandas; with pumps of Well at right and wooden stable at back; Dartmouth hills in distance; about 1878. Looking North, from near Southeast end of Block B. Block C was 1/3 length of Blocks A and B, and apparently held two families instead of six. Blocks A, B, and C were demolished by Halifax Explosion of 6 December 1917, but a brick extension of Block C, and the brick Block D still stand and are occupied.

Date.: ca. 1878

Reference: Royal Engineers Nova Scotia Archives number 6973 (Piers 201)

Nova Scotia Archives —

Crown copyright © 2024, Province of Nova Scotia.