"We are all happily arrived in this country, after a voyage of two months and three days. At our first landing we were obliged to live in tents like soldiers in the field, having no other habitations; but were soon after ordered by our governor to cut down a great number of trees, (all the country being a wood, quite wild and over-grown) to clear a large piece of ground; which we actually did, and finished this work, as we were ordered, in the space of six weeks; after which the country was divided among the new inhabitants by lots, 60 foot in length, and 40 in breadth, being given to each settler to build their houses.
There was no such thing as a carpenter or bricklayer, everyone being obliged to be his own architect, and perform the work with his own hands; not so much as a workman was to be had, all having enough to do for themselves.
The government assisted us with boards, and nails, which were brought from Boston in New England; and every day we see some sloops arrive from thence with boards and shingles. Many of the English built very poor houses, and many of them none at all, being incapable of such business, and, therefore, were obliged to shelter themselves all the winter in their tents."
“Extract of a Letter from Halifax in Nova Scotia, dated March 20, 1749-50 ”, The London Magazine, May 1750, pp. 196-197 [AK/ AP/ L84/ 1750]
Cartographer: Moses Harris and D'Anville; published according to an Act of Parliament, 25 January 1750; printed for T[homas] Jefferys, St Martin's Lane, Charing Cross [London, England]
Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Map Collection: S.B. 4
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/
Crown copyright © 2020, Province of Nova Scotia.