In 1908, a group of private citizens purchased 'Bloomingdale', which had been the residence of Alfred G. Jones (1824-1906) from 1860 until his appointment as Lieutenant Governor in 1900; his family included daughters Frances (later Bannerman), a noted artist and poet, and Alice, a well-known author, both of whom later moved overseas. The purchase price for 'Bloomingdale' was $10,000, and the citizens' group subsequently founded the Waegwoltic Club, a name derived from the Mi'kmaq word for the North West Arm. The house and property remain intact today, a thriving private recreational facility and Halifax landmark.
Photographer: Harry O. Dodge (Gauvin & Gentzel)
Date: ca. 1910
Reference: H.O. Dodge Nova Scotia Archives 1987-73 no. 3
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.