Lieutenant Governor Alfred G. Jones and the Anglican Bishop, Frederick Courtney, formally opened the Missionary Loan Exhibition held in St. Paul's Parish Hall from 20-24 January 1903. The exhibition included examples of silver, stone and woodwork from missions in Africa, Asia, South America and the South Seas. Tea was served daily at 5 p.m. and half-hour concerts were performed in the evenings. Organized by Major J. C. Thorpe, it was the first function held in the newly-renovated hall, designed by architect W. Critchlow Harris. The exhibition was conceived to foster interest in foreign missions, to be both entertaining and instructive. Those staffing the booths dressed in the attire of the ethnic groups they represented, and upwards of 10,000 people visited the exhibition.
Photographer: Notman Studio
Date: January 1903
Reference: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives no. 10578 / neg. no.: N-6989
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.