The Halifax Police Court and City Hall was built in 1810 as the County Court House; the court occupied the main floor, with the Exchange Coffee House on the first and attic floors. In 1841 the building became Halifax's first City Hall. The City Market Building was erected in 1854 from the designs of architect William Findlay. It later housed various city offices until the new City Hall was built on the Grand Parade. Then as now, Saturday mornings brought crowds of people to the Market.
Photographer: G.L. Sinclair
Date: July 1886
Reference: G.L. Sinclair Nova Scotia Archives 1992-319 no. 1 / negative: N-1574
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2023, Province of Nova Scotia.