Nova Scotia Archives

The Royal Engineers in Halifax

Dockyard, Halifax

Piers note: No. 371. Dockyard: Porter's Lodge at North or Hospital Gate (built 1809), being entrance to Victualling Yard or (originally) to Naval Hospital; large Willow Tree with bell to left, behind which is Dwelling (no.(?)). Looking Southwest from near Southeast end of Naval Hospital. In sandstone lintel over small side gate, is an oval inscribed GR 1809 which gives date when the gate (of sandstone) was built. Porter - Mr. Mallone.

Date.: ca. 1883

Reference: Royal Engineers Nova Scotia Archives number 6869 (Piers 371)

Nova Scotia Archives —

Crown copyright © 2023, Province of Nova Scotia.