25 April 1868
Volume 26 Number 33
Formed in Pictou from the joining of the Mechanic & Farmer and Presbyterian Banner in 1843 — The Eastern Chronicle was devoted to religion, agriculture, literature, politics, and general intelligence. Purchased by Robert McConnell and W.B. Alley and moved to New Glasgow in 1866 and known briefly — 1866-1867 — as The Eastern Chronicle and Pictou County Advocate. With the move to New Glasgow the paper commenced publishing twice a week but reverted to weekly in April of 1870. It was sold to Daniel Logan in 1877, then succeeded by S.M. MacKenzie and later James A. Fraser of the Chronicle Publishing Company 1881-1946. The final issue appeared on 24 September 1953 (Hector Publishing Company).
Each copy from the Nova Scotia Archives holdings, 1867-1888 has been scanned. These issues focus on the time of Confederation and the industrialization of North Eastern Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/newspapers/archives/
Crown copyright © 2023, Province of Nova Scotia.