Prior to the opening of a permanent prisoner-of-war camp in Amherst in 1917, captives were housed at the Halifax Citadel from October 1914 to September 1917. It proved to be as uncomfortable for the prisoners as it was for the Canadian Garrison Artillery.
Photographer: Notman Studio
Date: ca. 1917
Reference: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives no. 47
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.