The Canadian Garrison Artillery was mobilized in August 1914 and the regiment was immediately detailed to occupy various defence posts around Halifax Harbour. During the war, nearly 700 officers and men from the regiment volunteered for overseas service. Those remaining were stationed in the damp, unsanitary and long disused fortifications around the city – including those on Georges Island. This regiment assisted civilian authorities after the Halifax Harbour Explosion in December 1917.
Reference: Schooner Books Nova Scotia Archives / neg. no.: N-6963
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.