The Pryor Crew included [left to right, all seated in shell]:the internationally famous oarsman George Brown, Herring Cove; Thomas Hayes, Herring Cove; Warren Gray, Sambro; and Charles W. Nickerson, Sambro; and James McGrath, Prospect (the spare), standing with oars in boat-shed doorway [behind the shell], near the Royal Halifax Yacht Club House [upper left].The Yacht Club – now the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron – was located then on the Halifax waterfront, near the foot of Hanover Street in an area which is now part of Halifax Shipyards. When this photograph was taken, the clubhouse had only recently been completed.
Date: August 1871
Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Photo Drawer - Sports Rowing - Pryor Crew, 1871 / negative: N-0097
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2023, Province of Nova Scotia.