Haliburton describes Annapolis Royal in An historical and statistical account of Nova-Scotia, pp. 159-160:
". . . it is still a respectable town, and it participates in the general prosperity of the extensive and populous County of which it is the capital. It contains a Court House, Church, Methodist chapel, an Academy, a Government house or residence for the senior military officer, commodious barracks and several handsome private buildings. The fortifications are erected on the south western extremity of the peninsula, from whence there is a fine view of the Basin, the settlements on the Granville shore and the upper part of Clements."
Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Library: F100 H13 vol. 2 Thomas C. Haliburton, An historical and statistical account of Nova-Scotia, Halifax, 1829, opp. p. 159
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/chipman/exhibit/
Crown copyright © 2022, Province of Nova Scotia.