Known as Cow Bay until 1895 when the name was changed to Port Morien, this scene shows a Cape Breton mining village after the "September Gale" of 1873. A miner with a coal pick is heading up from the shore where vessels are loading coal. Also indicated are the Block House Mine, Gowrie Mines Shipping Wharf, the Breakwater, Flint Island and Light House, the Atlantic Ocean, and South Head Colliery.
Reference: Documentary Art Collection Nova Scotia Archives 1979-147 no. 137
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/ports/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.