Nova Scotia Archives

Men in the Mines

A History of Mining Activity in Nova Scotia, 1720-1992


"Wine Harbour"

"Named for the cargo of a wrecked ship, Wine Harbour was regularly visited by supply ships carrying coal and other necessities for the operation of the mill depicted in this painting, and others in the area. Gold mining began in this district in 1862 and at its height, saw five or six mills in operation." Painting is one of a series by Purcell on display at the Museum of Industry and donated by WMC International Limited - Americas Division and Western Mining Corporation, Australia.

Artist: Joseph Purcell

Credit: Museum of Industry

Reference:   Museum of Industry  no. I95.86.05

Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/meninmines/archives/

Crown copyright © 2020, Province of Nova Scotia.