'Maplewood' was a magnificent 8-acre property on the North West Arm; the residence was described in The Citizen (Halifax), 4 April 1872, as "large and commodious containing fourteen rooms. Besides kitchens, cellars, bathroom....stables, barns, root house, fowl house, [and] icehouse, there is also a small conservatory and gardener's dwelling". The property, leased in the summers, 1878-83, to General Sir Patrick MacDougall, Commander-in-Chief of Her Majesty's Forces in Canada, was ideally suited for the extensive entertaining which went along with Sir Patrick's position as military chief and a leader of Halifax society.
Photographer: Notman Studio
Date: between 1878 and 1883
Reference: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives OS no. 45760
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2022, Province of Nova Scotia.