Nova Scotia Archives

Halifax and Its People / 1749-1999

"Rehousing for Halifax Relief Commission, Halifax, Ross & Macdonald, Architects, Montreal, No. 76", 30 July 1919

George Ross, of the architectural firm Ross and Macdonald, offered his services to the city at a bargain rate in February 1918. His report called for the development of 324 housing units and sixteen shops and offices on West Young Street. Ross's goal was to maximize the aesthetic qualities of the development and to provide fire-resistant and sanitary buildings at a reasonable cost. He decided upon hydrostone for the exterior of the houses. Hydrostone consisted of a mixture of gravel, crushed stone, sand and Portland cement, moulded under pressure. To provide variety, he designed six different types of four-unit buildings, as well as a variety of two-unit houses at the ends of the terraces. He altered roof designs and the arrangement of timber and stucco to give the buildings an individual appearance. The photograph shows construction of Hennessey Court (now Hennessey Place) units at left and Kane Court (now Kane Place) units at right, Halifax.

Photographer: Gauvin & Gentzel

Date: 30 July 1919

Reference: Charles Vaughan (copied through the courtesy of Mrs. Shirley Vaughan) Nova Scotia Archives    / neg. no.: N-7038

Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/

Crown copyright © 2022, Province of Nova Scotia.