Tennis was played in Halifax as early as 1876 and the first lawn tennis court in Canada was located on the archery ground on the west side of the Public Gardens. The South End Tennis Club was formed in 1890 and is now one of the oldest such private facilities in Canada. The club originally leased a portion of the J. S. MacLean property facing on Young Avenue; this same property was later purchased and the club is still located there, over a century later.
Date: ca. 1900
Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Photo Drawer - Sports - Tennis, ca. 1900 / neg. no.: N-5544
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2022, Province of Nova Scotia.