Other forms of name:
Nova Scotia. Department of Mines
Mines became a separate department in 1939, when Public Works and Mines was broken up and responsibility for public works transferred to the Department of Highways. The Department of Mines was exclusively responsible for mines and mining, especially in relation to coal. In 1979 the department was restructured and renamed Mines and Energy, with a view to energy and mineral resources conservation and, especially, petroleum resources development. In 1991 Mines and Energy merged with Lands and Forests to form the Department of Natural Resources.
Notes: Authority record based on Statutes of Nova Scotia: 1939 c. 56, 1978-79, c. 35, 1992 c. 14; Order in Council 91-971 (20 August 1991).
see also Department of Public Works and Mines
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/government-administrative-histories/authority/
Crown copyright © 2022, Province of Nova Scotia.