Nova Scotia Archives

The Eassons and the Hoyts

Two Hundred Years of Family and Community Life in Nova Scotia

"Block House, Fort Halifax, 1755"

Annotated by Harry Piers: "This no doubt represents the oldest original blockhouse of Fort George, erected about 1749, on Citadel Hill, which was demolished when new fortifications were begun there subsequent to 1762. It could not represent one of the three peninsular blockhouses erected on the line between Bedford Basin and the head of North West Arm, for these were erected at or about the time the five acre lots were laid out on the outskirts of Halifax about 1765."

Date: 1755

Reference: Nova Scotia Archives: Army: Forts

Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/easson/exhibit/archives/

Crown copyright © 2022, Province of Nova Scotia.