According to Marion Robertson, King’s Bounty, Halifax, 1983, p. 155, two wooden fire engines were ordered by the Chamber of Commerce for use in town in 1785. The engines were in use until at least 1834 because one was repaired in that year by blacksmiths William and George McGill. The hand fire engine has a leather hose.
Reference: NSARM Photo Collection: Places: Shelburne: Fire Engine, no. 1
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/white/exhibit/
Crown copyright © 2020, Province of Nova Scotia.