A new Poor Asylum immediately replaced the burnt-out shell on the corner of South and Robie streets in 1886. True to the concept of the Victorian workhouse, the inmates were employed in revenue-generating activities which helped to offset operating expenses and brought (perhaps) some sense of contribution by those unfortunate enough to be incarcerated. The Poor House of 1886, somewhat altered in purpose but not in appearance, remained a prominent part of the Halifax landscape until its demolition in 1972.
Photographer: J. M. Margeson
Reference: Nova Scotia Archives 1992-411
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/halifax/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.