The hill just west of Lawrencetown Beach, with its prominent landmark “The MacDonald House” once featured many more buildings than today. Pictured here (to the right) is the MacDonald Hotel which was built c.1852 and operated by Annie “May” MacDonald (daughter of Charles and Eliza “Emma” (Naugle) MacDonald. The hotel was a prosperous enterprise, employing many people and hosting many visitors who came for the fresh sea air. The property burned down around 1954 after a grass fire got out of control. Just to the left of the Hotel barn is the Calvin United Church which burned down in 1962. The steps of the church can still be seen on the right side of the road as it descends to Lawrencetown Beach. The current MacDonald House, now a popular restaurant and surf shop, was built between 1947 and 1949 and is not present in this picture, suggesting that this photo was taken in the early to mid 1940s.
Date: [ca. 1945]
Reference: Eastern Shore Archives D0143P004
For more information, please contact the Eastern Shore Archives.
Council of Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/communityalbums/easternshore/archives/
Copyright © 2023, Council of Nova Scotia Archives.