In 1865 Edward D. Davison, Sr. (1819-1894) bought up mills and land holdings of mill operators in the area along the LaHave River. Davison then established two main mills at Bridgewater, called the upper and lower mills. By the late 1880s, the company had over two hundred thousand acres of woodland and was the largest lumber business in Nova Scotia, employing 350 men and fifty teams of oxen to supply and run five mills. The business was later sold in 1903 to American interests.
Reference: DesBrisay Museum 89.8
For more information about DesBrisay Museum's exhibits, programs and events, please visit our website.
Council of Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/communityalbums/bridgewater/archives/
Copyright © 2023, Council of Nova Scotia Archives.