Council of Nova Scotia Archives

Halifax Public Libraries

George’s Island, Halifax, N.S., Canada

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn, commissioned the construction of a star-shaped fortification on Georges Island named Fort Charlotte in 1798. At the time of Confederation, the fort was being redeveloped to take advantage of the invention of rifled ordnance that was invented in the late 1850s. The renovated fort was largely subterranean with a maze of tunnels, corridors, powder magazines, storage rooms and sleeping quarters buried deep inside the island.

Fort Charlotte, along with other fortifications at York Redoubt, McNab’s Island, and Point Pleasant Park, provided protection for shipping which was critical to the economy of Halifax.

Date: [1918?]

Reference: Halifax Public Libraries Postcard Collection Halifax Central Library HPL-PC-0166

halifaxlibrary  Logo

For more information, please contact the Local History Room at the Halifax Central Library.


Search Nova Scotia's Database of Archival Descriptions in

Council of Nova Scotia Archives —

Copyright © 2024, Council of Nova Scotia Archives.