Council of Nova Scotia Archives

Admiral Digby Museum

Point Prim Lighthouse

The Point Prim Lighthouse that currently stands on the Digby Gut entrance to the historic Annapolis Basin is actually the third to be built on that same site. The original lighthouse was built in 1817, and was named the “Fundy Light”. A dull smoky whale-oil lamp for the signal light and a swivel gun for fog warnings were used until 1871. On the night of March 16th, 1873, the lighthouse burned to the ground. It was replaced immediately. The new square, white tower had a red stripe on each side, and a house attached to accommodate the keeper and his family. This structure was demolished in 1964 and replaced with the current lighthouse.

Date: [18--]

Reference:  Admiral Digby Museum P15878

digby  Logo

For more information, please contact the Admiral Digby Museum.


Search Nova Scotia's Database of Archival Descriptions in

Council of Nova Scotia Archives —

Copyright © 2024, Council of Nova Scotia Archives.