Printed by James Robertson, at his Office, in King-Street, Shelburne.
Shelburne was founded in 1783 by some 15,000 political refugees displaced in the aftermath of the American Revolution. For a fleeting moment it was the fourth-largest community in North America, and with a population that large could sustain several newspapers in the early years. The Royal American Gazette was the first; begun in New York City in 1777, it migrated north with its publisher, James Robertson, in 1783. It featured local advertisements, reprints of news items from foreign newspapers, and some local content. Its Shelburne life ended when Robertson moved to Charlottetown PEI about 1785-86.
Selected Issues from 1785
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/newspapers/archives/
Crown copyright © 2020, Province of Nova Scotia.