The Nova Scotia Archives is part of the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage.
As the documentary heritage institution for the province, the Nova Scotia Archives:
- serves as the permanent repository for the archival records of the government of Nova Scotia
- acquires and preserves provincially-significant archival records from the private sector
- delivers a range of professional, client-centred reference services
- develops and maintains two Internet web sites (Nova Scotia Archives and Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics)
- provides strategic support and financial assistance to strengthen the provincial archival community