The Stag Inn built between about 1835 and 1840 and welcomed visitors until at least 1865. It was owned first by George Dear and then by William Dear. The Dears came from Maryland as refugees of the War of 1812. The William Dear family and their inn are described in some detail by Frederic S. Cozzens in Acadia; or, a Month With The Bluenoses (New York, 1859).
Date: 2 October 1934
Photographer: Gauvin & Gentzel
Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Photo Collection: Places: Preston | NSARM neg. N-710
Nova Scotia Archives — https://archives.novascotia.ca/Africanns/archives/
Crown copyright © 2021, Province of Nova Scotia.